Sunday 16 March 2008

Nifty neat-o and peachy keen ;-)

Despite my chooks being rather out of condition and still not quite looking their tops due to the moult I decided to enter a few of them into our local show to meet other local fanciers. I put in:

  • my black silkie roo
  • my black silkie pullet
  • my partridge wyandotte hen
  • my aylesbury
  • Nic's belgian hen
Just as I was catching my wyandotte of course the crazy thing makes a dash for it and goes to scratch in a pile of dirt turning her yellow legs FILTHY! Little so and so! No time so after catching her she had to go in a bit unkempt. At any rate, it was a lovely day and we got to talk to so many nice chooky folks and ended up being invited to the Warragul poultry club meeting this evening and wound up having a grand time there as well! Fantastic bunch of people and I got put on to some people who are very savy in Wyandottes and should be able to help me get ahold of some more good quality breeding stock. :-D

At any rate - the outcome... my black silkie roo got third prize, my partridge dotte got first prize, my Aylesbury got first and second AOV waterfowl and Nic's belgian girl placed third. We've got some little placement cards and some prize money which funded an frozen yogurt treat. ;-)

I also got to see some very lovely coloured sheep, fell in love with a pair of beautiful moorit sheep... ohhh such a pretty colour! And am on some more waiting lists to get sheep. (Unfortuntaely the time the people left who were agisting here meant we had no chance of getting anything off anyone else of decent quality.) And made some fabulous contacts for handspinning and knitting lessons from a person who is nearby AND (how is THIS for a weird coincidence) also used to live in Auburn, a few streets down from us and was best friends with our elderly next-door neighbor Nadia!

And tomorrow we're on to Euroa for the poultry auctions! Hurrah!!!

0 comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany