Wednesday 28 November 2007

Just got an update from the fellow who is incubating my eggs - 2 dozen eggs, 1 had hairline cracks so not set, 12 of the remaining 23 fertile. The interesting thing is 7 of the 12 are from an "old" batch aged 10-15 days after lay. He figured they were unlikely to be viable and even I figured it was a long-shot. However I figured if even one was more than I'd have otherwise so might as well try - especially as Murphy would dictate if I composted them, they'd have all been fertile and big winners. ;-p

The fresher batch which I expected far more out of is 5 of 12 fertile! Methinks I know a chooks about to get their bum-fluff plucked!

The hen who laid the eggs has five eggs under her at the moment and is acting broody. I've told her she is absolutely, positively NOT going to go broody and sit there for a month on just five eggs!

Oh. And for any who might be wondering, the silkies in the pics below are definitely black... someone brought to my attention that the way I photographed made them look dark blue when they're not. Oh for a grey-card... ;-)

2 comments:

Lucy C said...

Cool about the eggs.
Are they silkies?
Are they from some of the birds you lost?
And what is a grey card?

Amanda O. said...

Nope, the eggs are std partridge wyandotte. My black pair are still settling in from the auction. The "less fresh" eggs are from Rosie whom the fox took though so I was really crossing fingers they'd be good against the odds! The more fresh eggs are front Penny, the mum of the four gangly looking chicks.

A grey card is a piece of photo equipment that looks exactly like what it sounds like: a grey 'card' which is designed to reflect halfway between black and white and in the middle of the colour scale. It's useful if the majority of your photograph will have either very light or very dark tones - so particularly useful with a black bird! To use it, you take a reading off the greycard first and then shoot the actual intended photograph. Sorry if this is not the greatest description, I am verrryyy much an amature just learning!

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany