Friday 2 November 2007

Introductions

I suppose, first things first, introductions are in order. I decided to create this blog as a record of my chooks, ducks and (hopefully soon!) geese and decided to open a second blog as the readers of my first are primarily my friends and my dog friends, who've relatively little interest in chook related ramblings. Meanwhile, since my son is on my main blog, it's not one I wanted to keep public as there are not-so-nice people in the world. So that's the "why".

The who is Amanda, though many of you know me by my web handle. As for where, we're near Gembrook in Victoria on a small property of 5 beautiful acres.

My primary interest in chooks is my lovely partridge Silkies and my much loved std partridge Wyandottes which I keep the PB version of. I also have a cheeky Aylesbury duck named "Martha". She is a beautiful duck and I'd recomend the breed to anyone wanting a lovely, nice-natured duck!

DH's RIR "Millie" who is admittedly quite cute

and we've got a few Faverolle chicks as well which my son likes despite their high strung tendancies!

My silkies are:
Blossom, my first pullet, who started it all. I purchased a pair of sussex bantams as well but after awhile of owning them decided I wanted to pursue the silkies as I adore the friendly little guys and wyandottes only so they found a lovely home in the 'burbs as spoilt pets!

Petal, my second pullet, who is turning out to be a lovely young lady!
(Pictured here at 8 weeks old)

and pictured below at 14ish weeks old.

Last but not least is Basil, my cute cockrel below




These guys are all from Tim at Tribe of Honk in Silvan, Victoria and will hopefully be the start of a nice breeding line.

My second breed is my Wyandottes. I am just nuts about these guys, they're just beautiful! I purchased a hen and pullet from Alf Williams at a show earlier this year.

"Penny" is the hen and she's the nicest marked and quality wise, though the colour has plenty of room to improve! ;-)


The pullet, "Rosie" is a little less nice than "Penny" as you can see. Her penciling tends to go wild about mid-wing to rump, the markings in her neck and general shape.

My cockrel from George Norman a little while after and his name is "Jarrah". He is a true gentleman of a rooster and takes good care of his girls as well as being reasonably well behaved to handle.

Hopefully he should compliment the girls faults and vice versa and produce nice offspring!

I love the colours on this colour variety in both the roos and the hens. I just don't think you can beat them for sheer beauty!

On 21 August, Penny hatched her first clutch here. She did a good job laying and sitting but 8 days into it my pullet flew over the fencing and into her area and ate 3 eggs (fertile) and scattered several more which traumatized the embryos into dying. Of the eggs left, these 4 little guys are the results!


My son adores the little tykes! I think having chooks with children (albeit always supervised!) is a delightful thing for everyone involved! (Including the chicks as he's inclined to go hunt bugs to feed them!) Here are a few of the littlies just hatched - two of them still wet!




1 comments:

Lucy C said...

Great into and I love your photos.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany